3.12.2013

Tryna?

I am not the wisest owl on the owl farm, but one thing I've come to realize about being a social twenty-something (Thought Catalog, hire me! Please!)* is that the difference between leaving a party at midnight and staying until 4 is if you're 'tryna.'

tryna [trahy-nuh]verb- like, you wanna, you gonna

God bless the US of Tryna because it makes us all do very silly things like stay up until 4 in the morning watching a boy play video games (I have since realized this might be an indication he is NOT tryna) or casually mention you play a musical instrument that you do not even own/are able to pronounce. Sometimes I believe that the world is simply being held together by the sheer energy of people tryna at any given time.

Not tryna.
Not tryna.
On the train the other day I heard a girl pretend to not know what French Toast was and then the dude pretended to believe that this girl he was romantically interested in truly did not know what French Toast was. He then proceeded to explain what French Toast was and she giggled and giggled and I'm sure they went home and put their mouths on each other and I sat there with my jaw on the floor thinking, vhat. ze. fug. (jk I was like, OH! THAAAAT'S what French toast is!)

Of course there is nothing wrong with tryna, but perhaps we have all taken it a little too far, to the point we are sacrificing what is actually unique, interesting, and charming about us. Sometimes all we wear are giant tags of MADE IN TRYNA, and we can afford to buy local.** I'm sure we have instruments we can actually play. I'm sure there is more to talk about on a 7 minute train ride than how cute your gluten allergy is. And for goodness sake, the other person is also probably tryna so go watch Netflix and fall asleep together at 11:00 pm because that is truly the happiest you can ever be,


*I imagine Thought Catalog paying people in those free Itunes samples from Starbucks. 
**That is by far the worst pun/metaphor/sentence  I have ever written. Feel free to trip me next time you see me...

5 comments:

  1. You are wonderful. You tryna hang out again, kindred soul?

    -Maurielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Anytime you are in NYC, hit me up! We can go shopping and buy all the same clothes! LOL Hope all is well!

      Delete
  2. When i'm tryna, I stand real straight, open my eyes real wide, and nod vigorously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog puts the same smiles on my face as when I read things written by Dave Barry.

    Except I smile that much wider and am that much happier to know that I know you.

    Welp... thus commences my stalking through the volumes of your musings. But don't worry, if you run into me, I won't pretend that I don't do it, a la a blog of yours from February.

    I like to smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kamo! So good to hear from you and WHAT a complimentary comparison! Don't worry if I run into you I won't pretend like I don't know you got into Howard Law with a killer scholarship! Hope to run into you soon!

      Delete